NOTE: The Lighthouse Grounds, Museum and Gift Shop are now open 7 days a week, from 10:30 to 5:30, weather permitting. (The Lighthouse Tower remains closed to the public because of Covid restrictions. Watch this space for any changes.)
A National Historic Landmark in recognition of the significant role played by the lighthouse in American maritime history.
Authorized by the Second Congress in 1792, under President George Washington.
Construction began on June 7, 1796 and was completed on November 5, 1796.
First lighthouse in New York State.
Fourth oldest active lighthouse in the United States.
Constructed of sandstone blocks from Connecticut, 8″ high and varying in length from 18″ to 44″.
Foundation is 13′ deep and 9′ thick.
The walls are 6′ thick at the base, tapering to 3′ thick at the top.
The height of the tower is 110′ 6″.
There are over 137 iron steps to the top of the tower.
The light flashes every 5 seconds and can be seen from a distance of 19 nautical miles.