NOTE: The Lighthouse Grounds, Museum and Gift Shop are now open 7 days a week, from 10:30 to 4:30 through May 23, weather permitting. Hours will lengthen as the summer progresses. (The Lighthouse Tower remains closed to the public because of Covid restrictions. Watch this space for any changes.)
The First Phase of the Montauk Lighthouse Restoration is completed. Detailed photos show the process during the First Phase of Restoration.
Paint removal, repair and preparation of intricate details were required prior to application of primer and ﬁnish paint.
Old paint was removed from the vent ball and roof. Surfaces were prepared for primer and ﬁnish coats. Finally, primer and ﬁnish coats were applied to lantern vent ball and roof.
Paint removal required multiple applications of stripper to expose the brick. Look closely and you’ll see the 1860 brick extension revealed a carving, A.D. 1860, in one of the bricks to the south west of the lantern doorway catwalk access.
Defective mortar joint was removed, then new historic mortar joint was installed on masonry. A ﬁnal application of moisture permeable mineral paint was then applied to restored historic sandstone and mortar.