NOTE: The Lighthouse Grounds, Museum and Gift Shop are now open 7 days a week, from 10:30 to 4:30 through May 23, weather permitting. Hours will lengthen as the summer progresses. (The Lighthouse Tower remains closed to the public because of Covid restrictions. Watch this space for any changes.)
THE MONTAUK LIGHTHOUSE OCEANS’ INSTITUTE
The Montauk Lighthouse Ocean’s Institute opened its doors to the public in August, 2015. Private donors enabled a renovation of the historic windows and the doors in the former Fog Signal Building that was erected in 1897. The institute is the result of the vision and passion of local residents Bettina Stelle and Greg Donohue, who are Montauk Lighthouse Committee members, and local reporter and author, Rusty Drumm.
The institute is a non-political platform whose mission is to identify and explain the current ecological challenges to our oceans, waterways, beaches and marine habitats; to focus on highlights of Long Island’s rich maritime history; and to present and inspire local initiatives to solve regional and global environmental problems.
This summer the Oceans Institute will feature a historic display that chronicles the career and impact of shark fisherman, Frank Mundus, and a short film on the evolution of shark fishing in Montauk by award-winning director, Tom Garber of Third Wave Films (view here). The film includes interviews with local businessman and avid fisherman, Joe Gaviola; legendary mariner, Pat Mundus; and the painter and activist, April Gornik.