By an act of the Second Congress, President George Washington authorizes lighthouse construction at Montauk Point.
Cornerstone is laid by builder John McComb Jr.
Construction of lighthouse and dwelling completed.
The tower is first lit.
Attachment to keeper’s dwelling completed.
This structure is referred to today as the 1838 Building.
First order Fresnel lens first lit, emitting a flashing signal every two minutes.
The John Milton wrecks on the rocks 5 miles west of the lighthouse, its captain mistaken the steady beam of the new Shinnecock Lighthouse for that at Montauk Point.
Renovations begin on tower and construction of a new dwelling in order for the lighthouse to meet the standards of a First Order Light Station.
Renovations are completed.
Fog signal installed.
Daymark painted on the tower.
New 3 ½ order bivalve Fresnel lens installed; signal becomes a flashing white light every 10 seconds.
Incandescent vapor lamp installed in the lens.
The lighthouse is electrified.
US Army occupies Montauk Lighthouse during WWII, becoming part of the Eastern Coastal Defense Shield. Construction of Fire Control Tower on property.
US Coast Guard takes over lighthouse operation.
Lighthouse is automated.
Buildings on lighthouse property leased to Montauk Historical Society by US Coast Guard.
Montauk Point Lighthouse Museum opens.
President Bill Clinton signs legislation for the transfer of lighthouse property to the Montauk Historical Society.
Lighthouse Transfer of Deed Ceremony.
Vega VRB-25 optic installed in the lantern.
E. Virgil and Elaine Wingate Conway Visitors Center ribbon cutting ceremony.
First public viewing of new museum exhibit: Where Land Meets Sea and Sky: Exploring Montauk History Through the Richard T. Gilmartin Galleries
Acquisition of George Washington document for museum.
First Lighting the Light held for Christmas season.
Lighthouse Committee begins process of attaining National Historic Landmark status for the lighthouse.
Montauk Point Lighthouse becomes only the 12th lighthouse in the US to be designated a National Historic Landmark.